Over Sea, Under Stone (MG)

Over Sea, Under Stone (Dark Is Rising, #1) Susan Cooper. 1965. 208 pages.

"Where is he?" Barney hopped from one foot to the other as he clambered down from the train, peering in vain through the white-faced crowds flooding eagerly to the St. Austell ticket barrier. "Oh, I can't see him. Is he there?"

 I liked this one, I definitely liked it. But it wasn't quite love for me. Not love, love, love at any rate. Over Sea, Under Stone reminded me in so many ways of fantasy novels that I've read and enjoyed in the past. And it definitely had its charming moments, its cute moments. But sometimes a book needs just a little bit more than that. Still. I liked it. I liked the setting. I liked the characters. Perhaps the three Drew children (Simon, Jane, and Barney) weren't the most amazingly well-developed characters I've ever met. But Great-Uncle Merry (Gumerry) made me more than a little curious. And I definitely want to read more in this series.

Read Over Sea, Under Stone
  • If you're looking for a classic fantasy novel
  • If you're looking for children's fantasy
  • If you're looking for a children's fantasy set in Britain
  • If you like books with more than a little charm

© 2012 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews